The Power of Black and White – In Adobe Lightroom & Beyond by Piet Van den Eynde (Craft and Vision, Vancouver, Canada) is an e-book that, at $5.00 to download, is an incredible value. It is a 100 page Masterclass course that should be on every photographer’s “bookshelf”.
Post processing black and white images has been the subject of countless discussions, and it would be easy to assume this e-book is simply recycling. In this case, that assumption is wrong. Van den Eynde brings a fresh, new approach in both technique and presentation.
With a world full of presets and plugins that promise effortless automation, it is easy to get frustrated when our images don’t magically appear as black and white perfection. Van den Eynde addresses this and gives a succinct explanation of the relationship between colours and their corresponding shades of grey. Understanding this relationship is what opens the door to making magic.
- Extremely well laid out, making 100 pages easy to work through
- Very thorough explanation of Adobe Lightroom’s Basic and Black and White panels
- Step by step walk through of his workflow
- Fantastic images and screen shots demonstrating his workflow
- Explanation of how to use presets and plugins as a starting point within the process
- Excellent walk through and insights into popular plugins (Alien Skin Exposure, Nik Silver Efex Pro, Photomatix Pro, Nik HDR Efex Pro)
- Very nice “finishing touches” chapter that explores tinting and digital frames
The Power of Black and White – In Adobe Lightroom & Beyond by Piet Van den Eynde expertly invites readers into his post-processing workflow. Not only do we see the steps he takes, he reveals the thinking behind every adjustment decision. Readers come away with a much better understanding of what makes each image unique and how to tackle different adjustment challenges.
If you are looking for a series of tutorials that simply tell you to plug in numbers, don’t buy this e-book. If you truly want to understand what it takes to create beautiful black and whites, this is the e-book to purchase. With this as a resource, there is no longer the need to mindlessly click on presets and hope for the best.
(To purchase this great e-book and contribute a small portion to PhotoComment please click on the Craft & Vision banner to you right.)